Wednesday 15 October 2014

Where I'm From Poetry.


I assigned one of my all time favorite pieces today...Students wrote a poem that had to be titled "Where I'm from". I stressed to them the importance of ensuring that it was not strictly literal, but figuratively speaking also. I'm excited to read all the compositions to get a glimpse into their lives and identity today. A powerful assignment in terms of sharing our personal stories and making connections with each other as learners. I shared my own example of "Where I'm From"...


Where I’m from

I am from hard work and jokes
On a happy night when my whole family is together, and my mom and grandma are cooking up a red and spicy storm

I am from summers on a blueberry farm in Cloverdale, picking berries from 9 am to 3 pm, every summer from the age of 8, feeling lucky at age 12 to sell them roadside instead
I am from a childhood of babysitting my younger sister, brother and cousins and learning how to cook for my family when mom was working evening shifts because my grandma stressed "how else would I learn to cook for my future in laws?"
I am from temples where we saw brides who got married to strangers that were chosen by aunts and uncles
I am from a generation that shifted, rebelled, and became ‘westernized’….
I am from listening, striving to be a good example, and not disappointing my parents and family
I am from finding my way and keeping everyone content at the same time.

I am from being compliant to centered, careful to tread softly

all the while

I am being cautious and mindful in modeling to my own little futures so one day, they can just be.